Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ten Years with an Amazing Man!


Brent and I are celebrating 10 years of marriage today.

Here is a tribute to the man I love…

The only challenge in being married to someone as wonderful as Brent is coming up with words to describe just how wonderful he is. Whenever I stop to think about the man the Lord led me to 10 years ago, I literally feel speechless...and grateful.

I’ve been stopped many times in the last ten years, often by friends and family and just as often by random people who feel this same sense of speechlessness after interacting with Brent even just one time. They usually say something like, “You are so lucky to be married to someone like Brent,” or “My kids LOVE your husband,” or “If anyone can do it, Brent can do it” or “There’s something about your husband’s voice,” or even “I wish I could find someone just like Brent.” I can sense their lack of knowing how to phrase my husband’s near-perfect aura. I usually struggle to know how to respond. But I do know exactly how they feel.

Brent is compassionate. The first thing I noticed and fell in love with about Brent is how he genuinely loves everyone. I quickly learned that his biggest hobby is helping people. If Brent has spare time, he finds great joy in seeking out those in need and finding ways to fill voids in their lives. (The kids and I have been the lucky recipients of much of his spare time for ten years…but I’m well aware of the principle “where much is given, much is required,” so we try hard to share him with the world whenever possible.) Brent is comfortable giving his time to infants, children, teenagers, adults, elderly, the sick, the poor, and the homeless.

Brent is a man of action. I also learned quickly that while Brent is very patient, he also knows when to act and what to do. He knew he wanted to marry me before we started dating, so he quickly asked me on a date to get things rolling. My roommates remember his bold and confident way of starting relationship chats without necessarily waiting for them to leave the room so we could be alone. We were married just 6 months after we met, and if I’d known then the happiness we’d share during the last 10 years, I would have understood Brent’s vision and urgency.

On one of the first nights in our first apartment, I randomly commented that the garbage can didn’t fit under the sink. I was surprised then (but wouldn’t be now) to see Brent dig out his razor blade and cut off the top of the can to make it fit “just how my sweet wife wants.” That garbage can has now fit under the kitchen sinks in five states. I don’t think I can ever part with it. It’s timeliness in our marriage makes it one of the first tangible symbols of my husband’s willingness to serve me.

When we were first married, I heard all the stories about husbands who leave the toilet seat up, make a mess of the toothpaste, and leave their socks lying around. It didn’t take long for me to realize my husband was different. He not only closes the lid, but he wipes it down when necessary. He purchased a toilet brush before we were married in prep for cleaning the inside of “our” new toilet. Isn’t that thoughtful? Brent not only has toothpaste tube cleanliness mastered, I frequently find my toothbrush lathered up and ready to go if he beats me to the bathroom in the evening. And he not only puts dirty socks in the right spot, he also does dishes, changes diapers, and actually makes the bed (instead of just pulling the sheets up like I do). He tells stories to the kids at the dinner table, wrestles with them on the living room floor, and sings to them in their beds at night. Brent’s hobby is helping…and he does it so tenderly and with complete humility.

Just a couple of weeks ago, a friend called to let me know Brent would be home a little later from a meeting they had just attended together because he had seen Brent’s car pulled over on the side of the road helping a lady with a tire-change. He was in a suit and had 3 of our kids in the car with him. But if he can help, he always will.

Brent manages his time so well. I think if my kids had a father who came home and quickly shoved them away to wind down, they would stop competitively yelling out the day’s accomplishments the minute he walked in the door. The high volume and excitement levels of our children during the hours that Dad is around speak loudly for the type of unselfish magnet my husband allows himself to be. When Brent comes home, his mind and his heart are home, too.

Brent is a hard worker. The way Brent plays with the kids before bedtime, one would think he has nothing else to do. But after dinner and bedtime routines, he’s willing to stay up into the night to continue work or unfinished projects. Brent also enjoys remodeling and has the kids (and sometimes Mom) thinking that pulling up an old floor, laying a new roof, or painting a room is one big fun family activity.

Brent loves so completely. I am a better person now than I was 10 years ago. Some of the things I’ve improved on over the years are weaknesses Brent pretends never existed. He looks past flaws and with open arms lends a shoulder to cry on, or hands to serve with. Anyone can feel safe with Brent. In all the years we’ve been married, I’ve never heard him say a negative thing about anyone…and that’s the honest truth.

Brent is a Christian. Hands down, the biggest blessing in being married to someone as wonderful as Brent is how well he helps me feel the love of our Savior Jesus Christ. He exemplifies the Savior in so many ways. I get to see every day a small glimpse of the kind of love, mercy, and sacrifice Jesus has for me and my children. My testimony of Jesus Christ has grown so dramatically thanks to my amazing man.

And together, our greatest hope and joy is to serve our Savior all of our days.

Cheers to the years ahead and on into eternity!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

That was so sweet.

Rebecca Larsen said...

I absolutely loved reading everything you had to say. I can't believe you guys have been married for 10 years! Everything you said about Brent is so true for both of you. Congratulations on 10 fabulous years.

We Are The Davis's said...

Congratualtions on TEN YEARS!! Brent really is an amazing guy, I know he has helped me through tough times!! You are both such great people and have an awesome family! Here's to many many more years together!!

Jennette said...

Congratulations to you both for 10 wonderfully successful years! We are also big Brent fans around here....but we're big Amy fans too! You are both really fantastic and we're just sorry that we don't live any closer to you.

LIZ said...

Congrats on 10 years! You are both wonderful people and we are so blessed to have met you.

Sandra said...

Happy 10-years!!